Tuesday, July 17, 2007

Why do they hate us?

I started my day by looking at the local newspaper this morning as I sipped my coffee. Like most small local newspapers, this paper tends to focus exhaustively on local news-every insignificant detail you could imagine. For the hard-core news addicts, this paper does not do any justice for national and international events. Therefore, our subscription to the paper is mainly to keep up with the opinion page to see what’s on the mind of our community and of course to keep up with the store specials and promotions. However, for the average local readers, this is their source of information.

Although I have gotten accustomed to seeing all kinds of misinformation—both by the newspaper staff or opinion pieces, today was even worse. The paper printed an op-ed piece by James Pinkerton, an ultra-conservative right-wing columnist who promotes an ideology of civilization wars vs. reconciliation. Read the article here (our local paper decided to title the article as “Chertoff’s gut might be right” in reference to recent comments by Department of Homeland Security about possible attacks in the U.S).

What troubles me most is that this poison laden article may not be too far off from public sentiments here, at least in private. Certainly, right-wing zealots have succeeded in brainwashing public opinion (beyond the point of no return?) into believing that: a) they are in dire and immediate danger, b) that Muslims and Islam are the source of this danger, and c) that the only way to face this danger is to fight it with overwhelming force.

Even with significant public opinion now against the Iraq war, the public is easily swayed by scare tactics. In this case, it is the bizarre events in the UK. So it is very convenient for a columnist with a not-so-hidden agenda to use this incident out of context to propose some outlandish and drastic measures – nothing short of banning any more Muslims from entering western countries and enacting a re-certification of all those who have entered in order to stop them from their harming their fellow citizens in their new communities.

I had the opportunity to discuss the UK event recently with a couple of Arab doctors in a small college town (which has embraced diversity). They were apprehensive about the prospects that their patients now view them with a tainted lens since the terrorist in the UK were mainly doctors. Interestingly enough, both of these doctors are Lebanese Christians, and one is actually a born-again.

Please understand that I acknowledge that there are plenty of examples of Arabs and Muslims whose deeds have directly contributed to a global negative perception of more than a billion people. These individuals are rotten not only for committing heinous acts, but also for claiming they did them in the name of Islam.

With that admission out of the way however, extremism and terror are by any means confined to Arab and Muslims. Therefore, it would be naive to believe that this vicious war on Arabic and Islamic heritage is simply a justified and measured reaction to the 2001 terrorist attacks on the U.S. There is more at play here and the factors range from protecting American world dominance to experimenting with defense and geopolitical models.

The Catholic Church just agreed to a $600 million dollar settlement in the abuse scandal that plagued its bishops. Yet, you don’t see anybody badmouthing Christianity or Catholicism as a religion that abuses children. If this were remotely related to Islam, can you imagine the reaction?

5 comments:

kinzi said...

Ayman, a good post. As a Muslim, you have a work ahead to distance yourself from those who do evil in the name of Islam.

Regarding the last paragraph, though, I think you may not be reading enough media of the left. ANY time Christianity or the Catholic Church is mentioned, the abuse issue is spit right back out.

In fact, we as Christians are dragged into the 'terror' thing with you Muslims too. Anyone who believes strongly in God is considered an extremist now, and because of a very small number of abortion clinics being bombed two decades ago (which WAS terrorism!), we are considered just as "dangerous and evil" as Muslims.

So as an American Christian, i have a work to do to distance myself from extremist Islam, too. What a weird world.

Ayman said...

Thanks Kinzi.

The point I was trying to make is the kind and extent of bias portrayed against anybody with Middle Eastern features is not necessarily portrayed toward anyone who could look like Christian. Even though Christians are judged by the actions of some, that judgment is at least withheld until the individual expresses his or her affiliation. Using your example, you’d probably face little scrutiny by walking next to an abortion clinic. However, I have to deal with scrutiny much more frequently if I am near an airport.

As for the other point you made about distancing myself from those who commit bad deeds, isn’t been a good person who contributes to local community and does not hurt others good enough? Why do I need some kind of oath or litmus test to prove I am not one of them?!

Did you mean to say distance yourself from extremist Christianity in your last paragraph? Either way, I don't believe there is extremist Islam or extremist Christianity, but rather extremist followers produced by extreme interpretations as well as complex socio-economic dynamics.

Anonymous said...

Ayman, I hadn't gotten that point from the main body of your writing, but did from your discussion with the Lebanese doctors in the UK.

To a much lesser degree than you are saying, as a fair skinned American in Amman I have to deal with the 'all American women are sexually immoral' stereotype. Daily, I have to deal with looks, comments and even touches, and i am an old lady who dresses modestly with a car full of kids.

I am one of those right wingers, not for foreign policy but moral policy issues. It hasn't taken any brainwashing to give Muslims and Arabs a bad name. It's not just 9/11, there is on-going Muslim violence in the Philippines and Pakistan, other places I can't remember.

My atheist, left-wing relatives see clearly a side of Islam that desires to take over the US. They want a ban on Muslim immigrants. They see what will happen in Europe in 20 years.

I also meant extremist Muslim, because we are being lumped together as a religious evil that must be dealt with. By their definitions, I am an extremist Christian, goodness, I believe in God, the Bible, and living out what's in it. To them that is crazy and I want to take their freedoms away.

And yes, you do need to do more than just the normal good deeds of a good Muslim. I've learned that facing those who would accuse me of thinking bombing abortion clinics is ok, or that as a Christian I'm ok with Ted Haggart's sin or Catholic abuse issues is necessary. Others who follow my faith blew it for me. My reputation is tarnished, I'm going to go the extra mile to clean it up..

Others who follow your faith blew it for you. It's Muslims like you who have to deal with the fallout of tarnished honor. I am counting on 'moderate' Muslims (is that ok to say?) like you to stand for what is right and good about Islam to counteract the bad. If you don't, the bad guys win and we all lose.

This is my first visit to your blog. I promise not to be so controversial next time. :)

Ayman said...

Kinzi,

I don’t necessarily consider your comments controversial. They are simply an expression of your opinions. We don’t need to agree, so be yourself.

By the way, my wife of Jordanian origin deals with the same abuse in Jordan, so I believe that is more of a bias towards female not a particular race per se. Perhaps one day a woman can walk in Amman or anywhere in Jordan without fear of harassment.

Anonymous said...

Thanks, Ayman.

Yes, the harassment is a gender thing as well. I'm sorry for your wife. Yet, when I have turned and angrily confronted harassers, they are invariably surprised and say things like: "All the American women in movies like it!". Which goes back to one of your points, media-induced stereotypes affect us.